Philadelphia may be known for its cheese steaks, but the vegan food this city offers is making even meat-eaters’ mouths water. In no particular order (narrowing down my favorite vegan spots was hard enough), here are 5 vegan-friendly restaurants you MUST try if you are ever passing through the city of brotherly love.
- HipCity Veg – Perfect for: a quick, yet drool-worthy, bite to eat. I’ve tried almost everything on the menu, and there isn’t one dish I didn’t like, but if you need help deciding, ordering the Crispy Hipcity Ranch sandwich is something you need to put on your life’s bucket list. If you’re looking for something lighter, the Arugula Taco Salad is the next best thing.
2. Govinda’s – Perfect for: light and fresh wraps, sandwiches, entrees that will leave your taste buds happy. Whether you’re in the mood to order food to-go or sit down at a cute cafe, Govinda’s could be the place for you. The staff is always friendly, the atmosphere is chill, and the food feels fresh and well-prepared, sure to satisfy any cravings. They even offer Vegan ice cream and cakes!
3. Bar Bombon – Perfect for: brunch lovers, or those who like to try something new. This restaurant is an adorable sit-down restaurant that offers veganized versions of Puerto Rican-inspired dishes. Their philosophy is that they offer “food for life” and their proteins use non-GMO soy and organic grains. For you brunch lovers, they even have a plantbased brunch menu! Their margarita pitcher is a must, along with their Fried Sweet Plantains to start and Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos to end. Trust me on this.
4. Vedge – Perfect for: fine dining, healthy eating, trying something unique and bold.
Good luck getting a table here, as they are usually booked for months. Vedge takes vegan fine dining to a new level, using locally sourced and seasonal ingredients. True to its name, Vedge keeps vegetables as the stars of each dish, with unique and bold recipes. They make it easy to eat your veggies.
5. Blackbird Pizzeria – Perfect for: Veganized versions of classic Pizzeria food– also perfect for making your mouth water and your stomach growl.
Blackbird Pizzeria makes it ridiculously easy to stay vegan in Philly. I know I’m biased, but they offer the best Philly cheese steaks you’ll find in the city. I don’t know how they’re able to replicate cheesy and meaty textures so well, but they have their dishes down to a science. If you don’t know where to begin on their menu, I recommend the Seitan Cheese Steak or the Calzone.
Veganism is on the rise, with many restaurant owners, chefs, and food scientists learning how to prepare plant based ingredients to taste their best, so finding a vegan meal is easier and more delicious than ever. Supporting vegan restaurants in your city or town is a great way to try something new, support a local business, practice compassion, and reduce your carbon footprint. Eating vegan is better for your health, the environment, the animals, and now, it could be argued it’s even better for your taste buds.
If you have a favorite vegan restaurant in your city, please comment below! I love traveling & trying new places =]