This year I’m actually EXCITED for Black Friday! I realized that I don’t need to risk my life in a possible stampede, all for the sake of buying products made of unsustainable materials and most likely made in sweatshops. Instead, I can sit back, sip wine, and shop the sales online at my favorite cruelty-free, sustainable & ethical stores.
I’m inviting you all to do the same with me:
1. Happy Earth Apparel – Along with designing freaking adorable clothes with earth-friendly messages, Happy Earth Apparel donates 50% of their net profits to promote conservation and sustainability. So far, they have donated to organizations such as the Rainforest Alliance, Earthjustice, Union of Concerned Scientists, and Oceana. According to their website, their products are designed with eco-friendly practices and shipped in recycled & recyclable material. So if you want new clothes that also support our earth, check em’ out! You can use my code AlyssaC15 if you want 15% off your order. You’re welcome =]
2. Reformation – I’m not sure if Reformation will offer a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale, but I know I will be on the lookout on both of those days. This store sells clothes that are made in L.A. using sustainable practices. As stated on their website, ” Our factory uses the most efficient, eco-friendly and pro-social technologies and practices we can get. We invest in green building infrastructure to minimize our waste, water, and energy footprints.” Every product page on their website also tells the buyer the impact each garment has on the environment.
3. Urban Renewal from Urban Outfitters – Urban Outfitters created a line of clothes made in the USA from upcycled pieces. Since each piece is updated by hand, each piece is unique!
4. Patagonia – Patagonia has an entire Fair Trade Certified collection, which ensures the products of that collection are created by workers paid fair wages for their labor, which in turn helps them support themselves, their families, and strengthens their overall communities. They have products suitable for every season, gender, and age group. Whatever I buy from the collection, I make sure only non-animal derived ingredients were used for added benefit to the environment and animals, and I must say, the synthetic materials are just as soft and warm as animal skins, without any of the cruelty involved. Check out their sale section for awesome deals.
5. Vaute Couture – This company sells comfortable and classy sweaters and winter coats made of “innovative, high-tech, sustainable textiles”. The pieces are cut and sewn in New York City’s garment district, so your heart can also stay warm knowing your coat wasn’t made from a sweatshop. Their products are worth every penny.
6. Brave GentleMan – This company sells ethical and sustainable footwear, suits, outerwear, accessories, tops, and pants. Their website states they embrace “a slow-fashion production model. We invest in sustainable innovation, superior vegan materials, ethical labor & classic styles made with quality.” Most of their clothes are made in New York City using recycled materials such as recycled cotton, polyester, and material made from recycled water bottles. I can’t wait to check them out for my Pollyanna person =]
7. Susi Studio – If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’m a huge fan of this company, and HOLY CRAP EVERYTHING IS 50% OFF for Black Friday. From heels, wedges, flats, and oxfords, they offer a range of classic styles with a unique, retro feel. The best part? Their website states they use “sustainable materials like canvas, denim, hemp, and faux leather produced from recycled plastic bottles.” I also love how each shoe is named after/inspired by famous figures, from Ralph Waldo Emerson to Brigitte Bardot.
8. Nicora– With Nicora’s sales, I can’t resist buying a pair of their boots! This company is a female-owned and operated business (but they sell products for dashing young men, as well) that uses cruelty-free materials. According to the website, female scientists are part of their staff to ensure they use environmentally-friendly practices. Their website even has a blog that talks about the shoe industry, eco-friendly materials, and the vegan leather they use. Their products (mostly shoes) are made entirely in the U.S. They also have styles for all different seasons, so no matter where you live, there’s a shoe for you!
9. Tarte – Now is a great time to stock up on cruelty-free makeup. Tarte’s website boasts: “At Tarte, we strive to create products that support a healthy, compassionate and environmentally responsible way of life.” I started using Tarte when I heard they were PETA-approved, meaning all of their products are either free of animal testing and/or free of animal-derived ingredients. They also offer an entire vegan collection.
10. Gray Rooster Co. Soaps – I’m in lovee with these soaps! They use natural, fair trade, AND organic ingredients to cleanse your skin and keep it soft. The soaps are Made in the USA, and according to their website they “cure [the] soaps for two months before it goes on the market.” I can’t wait to buy these as stocking stuffers for everyone!
Let’s be real – no outfit is worth another being’s suffering. Cruelty ain’t cute. There are plenty of sustainable, cruelty-free products on the market today. Do your research and support sustainable, innovative companies!
If you know of any other companies, please comment them below – I’d love to learn more 🙂
Peace & Love.